Frequently Asked Questions

Question: Where do I file for divorce?

Answer: Residency rules require that you file in the county where you or your spouse has lived for six months preceding the filing of the complaint for divorce.

Question: How long will it take to get a divorce?

Answer: There is a sixty day waiting perior after the complaint is filed before a Judgement of Divorce can be granted if there are no minor children, and a six month waiting period if there are minor children born during the marriage.

Question: How much will a divorce cost?

Answer: It depends on how much time an attorney works on your case, as the attorneys charge by the hour. If you have a complicated divorce with many disputed issues, the cost will be more than if you and your spouse have issues amicably resolved prior to filing the case. It is typical to pay a downpayment or retainer to hire your laywer.

Question: Will my children testify in court?

Answer: Generally, children never testify in court in a divorce case. There are a few exceptions to this rule. In a disputed custody case, the children are interviewed privately by the judge.

Question: If I move out of my house, am I guilty of abandoning my spouse, family, or property?

Answer: No. There is no such charge as abandonment in a divorce proceeding. You are merely changing your residence. However, you should seek legal advice, as you may continue to have financial responsibilities for your spouse, children, or property despite moving out.